166. Londonderry Town Pound
located on the east side of Mammoth Road
(NH 28) in Londonderry, NH


"Stray farm animals were confined here by elected pounders or reeves until ransomed by their owners. In 1730, David Dickey kept the first pound in the West Parish. When the current boundaries of Londonderry were established in 1836, David Gilcreast supplied both land and materials and constructed this pound in a 'workmanlike manner,' tapering from base to top. This pound faces the Mammoth Road, built in 1831, and has its back to the intersection of the Old Stage Road."

erected 1991


Londonderry Town Pound Photographs


Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the Merrimack Valley Region



All text and images on this website (c)2001/2002 Mary Lizie and Robert Marville

12/29/2001