160. Haverhill Corner Historic District
located on the eaast side of NH12A at the
Haverhill-Piermont line in Haverhill, NH


"National Register of Historic Places, 1987
Town of Haverhill Granted, 1763
'The Corner' was part of a mile-wide strip of land clamed by both Haverhill and Piermont, and finally divided between them. Haverhill Corner's architecture reflects its history as Grafton County seat (1793-1891), home of Haverhill Academy (founded 1794), and northern end of the first Province Road from the coast (later the Coos Turnpike, now Court Street). Col. Charles Johnston settled here in 1769 and promoted village growth. His house and Gov. John Page's still stand, with other notable dwellings, taverns, church, library, and school buildings."


erected 1990


Haverhill Corner Historic District

Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the White Mountains Region

Related Link:
Haverhill Corner clock



All text and images on this website (c)2002 Mary Lizie and Robert Marville

1/27/2002