156. John Brown Family - Gunsmiths
located on the north side of NH107, three buildings west
of the United Methodist Church in Freemont, NH


"Around 1845 John Brown of Poplin, now Fremont, built this gun shop, and with sons Andrew & Freeman spent 62 years producing fine target and hunting rifles, shotguns, and pistols. During the Civil War these prominent gunsmiths made firearms for the U.S. Government, and in 1861 their gun shop served as a recruiting office for enlisting Union sharpshooters."

erected 1988



Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the Seacoast Region





All text and images on this website (c)2002 Mary Lizie and Robert Marville

Revised 1/31/2002