139. Chester Village Cemetery
located on the south side of NH 102, just east
of its junction with NH 121, Chester, NH


"This graveyard, one of the oldest in the state, was purchased by Col. John Blunt for 70 pounds in 1751. Signed stones by the finest stone sculptors in New England are found here. Among these craftsmen are: Stephen and Abel Webster, John Marble, John Wright and Timothy Eastman. Revolutionary heroes rest here as well as two governors of the state, Samuel and John Bell, William Richardson, Chief justice of the N.H. Supreme Court, Isaac Blasdel, the clockmaker, and others."

erected 1980

The Chester Village Cemetery was listed on the National Register in 1979.


Chester Village Cemetery photographs

Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the Merrimack Valley Region

Related link:
Eagle-Tribune: It takes elbow grease to save historic cemetery



All text and images on this website (c)2002 Mary Lizie and Robert Marville

Revised 1/31/2002