134. The Cornish Colony
located on NH12A, just north of the entrance to the
Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish, NH


"The Cornish Colony (1885-1935) was a group of artists, sculptors, writers, journalists, poets, and musicians who joined the sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens in Cornish and found the area a delightful place to live and work. Some prominent members were sculptor Herbert Adams, poet Percy MacKaye, architect Charles A. Platt, and artist Stephen Parrish and nearby is the studio of his son, Maxfield Parrish, now a museum."

erected 1979

The Saint-Gaudens House & Studio was listed on the National Register in 1972. The Saint-Gaudens Memorial was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, was automatically listed on the National Register in 1966 when the Register was started, and is now a part of the National Park System as the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site. Other National Register properties associated with members of the Cornish Colony include the Mothers' and Daughters' Club House (listed in 1982) and the Plainfield Town Hall (listed in 1985), both in Plainfield.


The Cornish Colony

Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee Region

Related Links:
National Register Nomination Information for Cornish Colony
Footprints Of The Past: Images Of Cornish, New Hampshire & The Cornish Colony
Saint-Gaudens' Memorial to Shaw and the Massachusetts 54th Regiment



All text and images on this website (c)2002 Mary Lizie and Robert Marville

1/25/2002