124. Amoskeag Mills
|located on the east side of the Merrimack River, south of the
Amoskeag Bridge, in the southwest corner of the Manchester Armory parking lot, at the intersection of Canal
and West Penacook Streets, Manchester, NH
|"Samuel Blodgett began a canal to bypass the steep falls in
1793, with money provided by a lottery. The canal was finished in 1807. Mills
then sprang up on both sides of the river below the falls. The world renowned Amoskeag Manufacturing
Company flourished here for a century, operating 64 mills, covering a mile and a half of ground, housing
700,000 spindles and 23,000 looms which turned out 500,000 yards of cloth each week."
In 1982 the National Register listed five Amoskeag Manufacturing Company Housing Districts. Four are located south of the marker, between the large mill buildings and Elm Street (US 3). The fifth of these National Register districts is located on the west side of the Merrimack River, on McGregor Street, across from the Coolidge Mill.
Amoskeag Mills photographs
Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the Merrimack Valley Region
|History of Amoskeag Falls|
|Library of Congress Local Legacies Project|
|Levi Strauss used denim from Amoskeag Mills!|