112. Hinsdale's Auto Pioneer
located on the edge of a parking lot on the
south side of NH119, about .2 mile east of its
junction with northbound NH63, Hinsdale, NH


"In the Holman and Merriman Machine Shop opposite this location, George A. Long of Northfield (Mass.) in 1875 built a steam-propelled four wheel automobile with a fifth wheel for steering. This vehicle, fired by hardwood charcoal, had a bicycle-type frame, ordinary wooden wheels, solid rear axle and could maintain 30 miles per hour, roads permitting. This early inventor patented and built another automobile, propelled by gasoline, now in the Smithsonian Institution."

erected 1976


The Holman and Merriman Machine Shop

Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the Monadnock Region

Related Links:
Weirs Times: The Coming of the Automobile



All text and images on this website (c)2002 Mary Lizie and Robert Marville

1/13/2002