97. Exeter Town House
|located at the junction of Court Street (NH108)
and Front Street (NH111) in downtown Exeter, NH
|"The historic Town House of Exeter stood near this site.
Here on January 5, 1776, the Provincial Congress adopted and signed the first state constitution thereby
establishing an independent state government, the first of the thirteen colonies. The newly created
Legislative Assembly met here during the Revolution. The Town House remained in use until replaced by a
new structure in 1793."
This marker was erected in cooperation with the New Hampshire American Revolution Bicentennial Commission.
The marker stands within the Front Street Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1973.
Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
|Historical Markers of the Seacoast Region