87. Crawford House
located on US302, east of its junction with US 3,
Carroll, NH (NOTE: the Crawford House was
destroyed by fire in 1977.)


"Abel Crawford and son, Ethan Allen Crawford, built the first Crawford House in 1828. It was run by Ethan's brother, Thomas, until sold in 1852. Fires in 1854 and 1858 destroyed the original inn and a replacement. Col. Cyrus Eastman erected the third and present Crawford House. It opened in July 1859 to continue a tradition of hospitality to White Mountain visitors. Among them have been Daniel Webster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, John Greenleaf Whittier and Presidents Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, and Harding."

erected 1972


Stalking New Hampshire's Historical Markers
Historical Markers of the White Mountain Region